Articles taken from
‘A History of Printing in North Staffordshire’ – 1975
Sherwin & Co Ltd
In 1911 the printing business of Harry Lockett in Foundry Street, and which before Harry Lockett had been the New Press Printing Co, was acquired by a Limited Company of which Mr A. C. J. Sherwin was the managing director.
The equipment at this time consisted of an Arab platen, two Wharfedeales, three other cylinder machines, and some form of mechanical composing machine. Whatever it was it had to be returned because the new form of Sherwin & Co did not wish to pay the re-payments on it, so all type was hand-set until 1922.
The firm also printed commercial lithographic work directly from stone and had the usual bookbinding equipment for the period – a hand-operated guillotine and female staff for stitching booklets etc. They also had a bronzing machine and were continuing the work of the previous owner who had listed himself in the 1907 Potteries, Newcastle & District Directory as ‘lithographic, letterpress, bookbinding, and three-colour specialist’.
In October of 1922 a ‘Monotype’ composing system was installed; lithography was closed down as being uneconomic and the equipment disposed of in 1933. They were then printing on a royal-sized Wharfedale, a quad-crown Wharfedale, and platens. Gradually, as new machines became available, they were installed: a Vertical Miehle, two Titan cylinder machines, a Thomson platen, a Heidelberg platen, a new guillotine, and other bindery equipment such as wire stitchers, a folding machine, a new pen ruling machine, and new punching equipment.
As well as general commercial printing the firm was doing a quantity of work for the North Staffordshire Railways. About 1966 a small offset department was started with a camera, a Rotaprint, and a printing down frame.
The Sentinel wanted the premises in Foundry Street for further expansion and Mr Sherwin, who was no longer a young man, decided to let them have it, so in April 1969 a new company started trading as Sherwin Rivers Ltd was formed and the premises of Fred Bevington in Waterloo Road, Cobridge was purchased. Some of the plant at Foundry Street was disposed of, the rest was brought by the new company.
Sherwin Rivers Ltd
On the close of Sherwin & Co (Hanley) Ltd a new company, Sherwin Rivers Ltd was formed by the executive of the previous company. The Directors of the new company are Mr W. L. Sherwin, Mr A. G. Rivers, Mr A. Stanley and Mrs D. Sherwin.
This new company occupied the premises at Cobridge acted by Mr Fred Bevington on his retirement, the building being extended with the addition of a new first floor. Sherwin Rivers Ltd brought the bulk of the previous company’s equipment and have recently added to this a new Heidelberg 10 inch by 15 inch sheet size platen and a new IBM typesetting system.